Assistant or associate professor ‘Interventions Centre for Urban Mental Health’
Amsterdam UMC, Amsterdam
- Tijdelijk dienstverband
Innovate and evaluate interventions to prevent and target common mental health conditions on the individual level as well as on community-, and societal level.
Wat ga je doen?
We are looking for a faculty member who will develop a dynamic and collaborative research interdisciplinaryprogram that will focus on interventions and policy making regarding prevention and treatment of mental health problems and mental health conditions. More specifically, you will develop a research line on the innovation and evaluation of interventions to prevent and target common mental health conditions (such as depressive disorder).These interventions target several levels, i.e. on the individual level (e.g. with the use of technical devices), on community level (e.g. policies promoting social cohesion), and/or societal level (for instance policies on social determinants such as income distribution) in urban areas. These interventions will be derived from our developed framework of the Centre for Urban Mental Health using a complex systems approach as backbone (see https://www.centreforurbanmentalhealth.com/about/position-paper) and feed into an overall Urban Mental Health model. This research line will be embedded within the Amsterdam UMC (Department of Psychiatry and Department of Public and Occupational Health) and Centre for Urban Mental Health of the University of Amsterdam.
You will establish and maintain a vigorous program of independent, externally funded research and contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching programs and/or clinical work at the Department of Psychiatry.
The functions of a member of the academic staff include, in varying proportions: a) research (including acquisition of grants and supervision of PhD students), b) clinical work (not required, but possible), c) teaching/scholarly activities
The Assistant/Associate Professor is also expected to contribute to the management and performance of theCentre for Urban Mental Health through participation at relevant meetings and taking on selected responsibilities relevant to the role, and to be responsible for the leadership of research project(s) and delivery on project objectives, maintain an up-to-date understanding of scientific developments within the appropriate fields, and ensure a high level of scientific standard is maintained on all intervention research within the Centre .
This Assistant/Associate Professorship is pending favourable assessment of deliverables mentioned in a tenure track (it is a permanent tenure track position).
Wat neem je mee?
Skill requirements: The successful candidate will have
- experience in developing and the evaluation of preventive and curative interventions regarding mental health conditions at the individual, community or societal level;
- affinity with, and experience with common mental health conditions
- affinity with, and experience with interdisciplinary research;
- a proven capacity to publish in peer reviewed international scholarly journals;
- experience in acquisition of external grants
- experience in teaching and activating student learning in a university setting, and willing to become an academic mentor to students;
- ample experience in course design and course development preferably within a project-based curriculum;
- affinity with complex systems theory and methods;
- experience working with non-academic stakeholders and partners.
Education: PhD or MD/PhD in a relevant related field, such as Clinical Psychology, Psychiatry, Social Medicine, Computer Science
Work experience: Postdoctoral experience, or equivalent, with demonstrated excellent research achievements. Preferably some clinical experience. A strong track record in, and a commitment to, interdisciplinary collaboration and commitment to teaching. Excellent communication skills in English.
Wat bieden we jou?
- A contract for one year with possibility for a permanent position.
- In addition to a good basic salary, we offer 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance. Do you want to know what you will earn? Then calculate your net salary here (subject to change).
- Your pension is accrued with the ABP; VUmc contributes a large part of the premium (70%).
- In addition to excellent accessibility by public transport, we reimburse 75% of your OV travel costs (commuting costs) and also we offer a bicycle arrangement.
- Free and unlimited access to our online learning environment GoodHabitz.
- An active staff association and the Young Amsterdam UMC association, both of which organise fun (sports) activities and events.
- For an overview of all our other terms of employment, see https://www.werkenbijvumc.nl/watwijbieden/
Waar ga je werken?
Where will you work?
The successful candidate will be appointed within the faculty of medicine (department of Psychiatry/Public and Occupational Health) at the University of Amsterdam[MOU1] in AmsterdamUMC, and will become a core member of the interdisciplinary Centre for Urban Mental Health (UMH). UMH aims to unravel new pathways to improve urban mental health that take into account the complexities and dynamics of mental health problems and mental health disorders in an urban environment.
At UMH, state-of-the art complexity science is used as a backbone to understand and intervene upon the complexities and dynamics of mental health problems in an urban environment. Special attention is paid to common mental health problems and disorders. Research is aimed at understanding why and when some groups or individuals thrive in an urban setting, whereas other individuals are more vulnerable and develop mental problems. UMH’s approach integrates previously unconnected theories and sources to leverage new points for interventions and policy making at different levels.
As one of the largest research priority areas of the University of Amsterdam, UMH brings unique multidisciplinary research teams together. UMH is embedded within three faculties of the University of Amsterdam and is unified by the emerging knowledge and skills available from the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, the Faculty of Medicine, and the Faculty of Science, together with the Institute for Advanced Study. This collaboration brings together unique multidisciplinary research teams and stakeholders from the Amsterdam region.
UMH is managed by two co-directors, prof. dr. Claudi Bockting and prof. dr. Reinout Wiers, and is supported by a board with scholars from all three faculties, a coordinator and an assistant. Most meetings for UMH are held at the Institute of Advanced Study in the centre of Amsterdam.
1) A brief teaching statement and 2) a description of current and future research plans should be submitted together with 3) a curriculum vitae and 4) three confidential letters of reference. You can save all documents together with your CV as 1 document at once.
During the publication period, applications will be handled continuously. If the vacancy is filled, it will be closed prematurely.
For more information about this position, you can contact Prof dr. Claudi Bockting, via email@example.com subject line "UMH Assistant/Associate professor ‘Interventions’ Centre for Urban Mental Health "
For more information about the procedure you can reach Tanja Hart, Recruitment Advisor, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
A reference check and screening can be part of the procedure. Read here what this entails. If you join us then we will ask you for a Statement of Conduct (SOC). Internal candidates will receive preference to external candidates if the fit is equal.
Acquisition as a result of this job opening is not appreciated.
Amsterdam UMC, Amsterdam
Postdoc position in Synthetic Biology and Regenerative Medicine
UMC Utrecht, Utrecht
Postdoc Image Guided Therapies
UMC Utrecht, Utrecht